Urban Adventurers: Volume 6
A look into the life and times of Urban Adventures’ Guides
Julia, Washington DC
We had the pleasure of speaking with Julia to ask her 10 questions for all of you to get to know her better! Read on to learn more about this Urban Adventurer!
1. Where are you from?
2. How long have you lived in DC or the area?
I’ve lived here about 9 years. I originally moved down to go to American University.
3. What are a few of your hobbies and interests outside of guiding?
I love going to the movies, reading, pub trivia nights, and of course traveling.
4. What drew you to Urban Adventures?
I really liked the idea of giving tours to such small, personal groups. It seemed like such a great way to connect with people so much more than you can when you’re leading a big group.
5. What’s your favorite tour to give?
I love our Stories of the Smithsonian tour! The National Museum of Natural History is my absolute favorite museum anywhere, so it’s fantastic to guide people there.
6. Where would you take guests in DC that’s not a part of a UA tour?
I used to work at the Washington National Cathedral and it’s such a beautiful place. Hellen Keller and Woodrow Wilson are both buried there and they have a stained-glass window with a piece of moon rock embedded inside. If you bring binoculars you can also spot a Darth Vader grotesque on the northwest tower!
7. What’s a good day trip for people visiting DC?
Great Falls is a National Park in Virginia and an absolutely wonderful place to go hiking. I definitely recommend it and it’s very close to the city.
8. What book, movie, or song is a great representation of DC?
My favorite movie set (partially) in DC is Independence Day. Best cinematic presidential speech ever. Thanks, Bill Pullman.
9. What’s your dream travel experience anywhere in the world?
I took my life-long dream trip to the Galapagos Islands last year and it was everything! Now I’ve got to find another decades-long travel dream. I am planning a trip to Egypt next!
11. What’s your Hogwarts house and why?
Out of respect for my 11-year-old self I am a Ravenclaw, but I think we should all strive to be Hufflepuffs.
To keep up with Julia and her adventures, follow Washington DC Urban Adventures on Instagram!